Saturday, February 6, 2010

Intro #3 - Scott Yaremko


Hello I'm Scott Yaremko and this is an introduction to me,

I was born in Calgary, AB and I have lived here my entire life in a house only 10 minutes from the Life Together
home. I grew up in the covenant church on Kensington Road and attended CBC during its last active year so in a
sense being involved in a Covenant project such as Life Together isn't altogether new to me, but in many ways it is
also a very new experience (I'll unpack that loaded statement later). I guess you maybe want to know a little bit
about me, in that case: I have a great love for music, but I can't tell you anything about music theory or how to
play it. I mostly enjoy very loud hardcore, metal and punk. Some of my favourite bands right now include Converge,
Melvins and Coalesce, but I also enjoy a wide variety of music and I'm always interested in discovering new tunes.
Currently I am having a lot of fun playing guitar in a powerviolence band here in Calgary. I am also a student at
the University of Calgary studying Canadian and World History. History is a very interesting subject
(despite what you may have heard), context is everything for me and I find things make a lot more sense after I have
looked at them from a historical point of view. After graduating I plan to get into education and subsequently a
high school teaching position... or maybe work at McDonalds, who knows where my history degree will take me... the
world is my oyster. I enjoy zombie movies, spaghetti Westerns and Kung-Fu. I enjoy playing video games and board games,
I also enjoy watching hilariously dumb shows like Space Ghost, ATHF and MST3K. I enjoy drawing when the mood strikes me
I am single and enjoy long walks on the beach

As for my experience so far with Life Together, I can honestly say I had no idea what it would be like living with
7 other people in a tiny house, but the concept excited me which is why I am here. Most of the people here are people
I know or have met at some point or another through connections with the Covenant church, but the idea of living together
means that I am getting to know them within a closely knit community. This kind of relationship is one that I have
come to value deeply as I find that my relationship with God is most evident to me through community with others.
The greatest challenge I have found this year is finding time to make the most of this opportunity, it is very easy
for me to live my own life within this house, essentially reducing Life Together into a simple room and board
experience. Having grown up in Calgary, I am still trying to keep in touch with my friends and family and balancing this
along with school, work and band practice makes for an interesting challenge. I was initially hoping that my
individual life here in Calgary would effortlessly fuse with Life Together but I have found that things don't
always work the way you plan. Regardless, God is revealing himself to me in new ways this year and I hope to learn
something by overcoming these challenges.

For some reason I am finding it incredibly cheesy to throw in lyrics as a closer, but they spoke to me as I was writing this post;
Life in community is beautiful but it is always accompanied by hardship; to me the two seem inseparable, and with God's help
pushing on through the hardships seems to complete the picture of community.
So I hope these lyrics serve as words of encouragement to you

keep breathing
keep living
keep searching
keep pushing on
keep bleeding
keep healing
keep fading
keep shining on

No comments:

Post a Comment