Thursday, October 7, 2010

Intro #2 - Molly Read


Hey. I'm Molly.

I was born in the infamous Prince Albert, Saskatchewan. Yes, I own a Saskatchewan Roughrider jersey, wanna fight about it?
Before moving to Life Together here in Calgary, I had lived in the same house my entire life. My family and I have always attended the Gateway Covenant church there, and they continue to do so in my absence. We had a fairly tight-knit community at Gateway when I was growing up, it was a smaller group of kids my age that were a part of the youth group there; although mostly consisting of my own family members. Like most churches, Gateway had it's ups and downs. I'd have to say our youth pastor moving and the following year when our pastor moved took a pretty decent tole on our community, but at the same time it helped us grow. Others had to step up and pitch in to keep our church alive and walking. Childrens ministry has always been something I enjoy doing, and once they left I had the opportunity to teach Sunday school for the 3 children we had left at church.

I've attended Covenant Heights bible Camp for about six years now, which has really been an amazing experience. Each year I meet great new people and take so much home with me once the summer is over. That's actually how I came to know about Life Together. Of course, I had heard about it but I wasn't sure what it was all about. An old friend from Prince Albert had been the previous year, and a fellow camp counselor was going this year. With no intentions on going, but purely out of curiosity I asked questions about the whole project. The more I learned about it, the more interested I became.

For the past few years I had been preparing myself to go into law enforcement. I've always thrived in a competitive and active environment, and after working in retail for two years, I had become confident in my people skills as well. This past year I applied for a police preparation program, and six months later would be able to apply for the city police. It only took me the summer at camp to realize that God had different plans for me, and so when I got home from camp in Manitoba there was an acceptance letter waiting for me for university. I decided to put that aside and start writing up another application; to Live Together.

I don't know what's in store for me this year, but I am currently just settling into this big new city. I've recently started a job working as a nanny for a family down the street. The 5-year-old twin girls are a lot of fun, we spend the majority of the day playing games and making crafts... I can't think of any better job than this! I'm trying to focus on creating a routine in my life (I love routines) that incorporates God into my every day life. With the help from my new friends here in Calgary, I hope to come out of this year with a better understanding of what God is doing and wants to do in my life in the future. I would love to go to school eventually once my ambitions are a little bit more clear, but for now I'm just working on listening and learning.

I suppose that's it!

No comments:

Post a Comment